1. I am still having a hard time grasping the fact that my best friend was released from the hospital and to her own devices less that 24 hours from the moment a surgeon carved into her skull and messed around with the grey matter therein. Science, man.
2. Perhaps no great surprise, but I am also having a hard time adjusting to this week, what with it having began in one city, middled in a bevy of to-dos, and ended, or ending, with routine days at the office. It's discombobulating. Moreso, because I would druther be spending all of my time in the middled territories these days.
3. I gave another presentation tonight. I was a little seasick about it leading up, as per usual. By the time it was over, I was glad-handing, networking, all smiles. Repeating the same message time and again helps. And speaking from a place of passion and determination makes the going easier. But the public speaking flutterbys in the belly have yet to be wholly domesticated.
4. Pro Tip: when you plan your grandchildren, don't forget the part about making sure you live close enough to hug them and play with them and read them bedtime stories and bake them cookies and take them to the park and all that sort of stuff.
5. Possibly Related: I miss my babies. Every day.
6. The Oscar nominations were announced today. No great surprise: of all the films nominated across all the categories, I've seen exactly THREE of them. Unlike prior years, however, this time I've at least *heard* of all of them.
7. The other day, I had the thought to use these Thursday laundry lists as a way to check in on The List - Version 2015. You know, an opportunity to look over the 52 things I felt worthy of documenting as "aspirations" for the year and seeing how reality has fared against the dream. So, I trotted on over to The List to give it a once over and a bit of a status check.
8. Fifteen days into the year. I am on pace for #4, although I broke the spirit of #3. Working hard on #7. Good as gold on #8. Pleasantly surprised about succeeding on #14. Forgot about #15 altogether, so started today - result above. And #16 is happening, whether it's a press release, an e-newsletter, an outreach email, or a blog post...it's happening. It's looking like #30 might happen starting next Thursday morning - we'll see! I've set aside time next weekend, once my big fundraiser is behind me, to devote to #35. And, you know? I'm gonna call #46 a success-to-date.
9. Whaddya know, eh? More progress than I would have guessed. Pleasantly surprised!
10. Feeling really tired today, as evidenced in the self-portrait above. There is so much to do, and so much that could be done, but the time constraints are real, and exhausting. I knew this going in, and I'm prepared to deal with it and wait it out. But that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge it, right?
11. I ordered one of these for 2014. It came today. It's awesome. +100000000000.
12. This post is utterly unworthy. Of anything.
13. I'll do better tomorrow. Maybe.
*Title quote borrowed from Thomas Neill. Because it fits.